It is possible to find a variety of household products and medications to avoid in recovering from alcohol abuse or substance abuse disorders. Some of these items might appear harmless. However, for an addict, such items can be a source of enticement that could trigger cravings, and cause relapse. Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle can help you that which Medications & which items you use daily to avoid addiction recovery.
Vulnerability in Early Recovery The Truth About Early Recovery
The first stages of recovery are the time when individuals are most vulnerable. People are learning how to lead a clean way of life while also working on improving their health and establishing effective coping mechanisms for cravings and triggers.
If there are temptations in the house around them It is easy to become distracted and lose sight of the goal. For example, they might begin reminiscing about their “glory days” of substance abuse and the fun they had without contemplating the effects that their drug use could be causing.
In addition, they don’t are any longer in the same structured environment that they experienced during rehabilitation. Instead, they must face everyday challenges, just like everyone else. However, for those who are in the early stages of recovery, the added stress brought on by everyday problems can be overwhelming and lead to lapses when medications and everyday items are readily accessible in the home. This is why it’s essential to ensure the home that you or your loved ones return to is free of substances like alcohol, drugs, and other substances that may be misused.
Treatment Options to Avoid in Early Recovery
Particular prescription and over-the-counter medications should be avoided in recovery, as they could lead to dangerous consequences which include the possibility of relapse. The last thing that a recovering patient wants is to undo all of their hard work, so it is essential to be aware of the medications to stay clear of.
Certain prescription medications are not recommended due to their dependence, for example:
Over the Counter Medications
There are also some over the drugs you need to stay clear of during recovery This includes:
- Any nighttime sleeping medication.
- Cough syrups contain Dextromethorphan (DMX)
- Any liquid medication that contains alcohol such as NyQuil, ZzzQuil, Robitussin, Vicks, and Halls.
- Decongestants and anti-allergy medicines, sinus and cold medications that contain Pseudoephedrine.
- Motion sickness medicines containing Dimenhydrinate.
Prior to starting a prescription, or prescription medication, it’s crucial to ask Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle an Alcohol Treatment Program in Seattle, Washington whether the medication is habit-forming. If yes, then it is best to request that they prescribe or suggest a different drug. However, there are prescriptions and over-the drug products you can utilize to recover, for example:
- High Blood Pressure Medicines
- High Cholesterol Medicines
- Treatment for mental health/behavior
Everyday Items to Avoid during recovery
In addition to the various drugs, you can keep from relapsing Other everyday things that you’ll need to remove from your house in order to prevent any lapses like:
- Alcohol – There should be no alcohol at home in order to avoid any temptations to drink.
- Mouthwashes that contain Alcohol The following are the most common types of mouthwashes. Many types of mouthwash contain alcohol, so get rid of these and replace them with alcohol-free products.
- Inhalants –Inhalants are a broad range of products such as spray paints made of rubber and nail polish remover model glue and butane. Even whipping cream that is contained in aerosol containers is thought to be an inhalant.
- Spices/Seasonings/Herbs – Most extracts contain ethanol or alcohol, including vanilla extract and almond extract. Certain herbs may have sedative or stimulant properties, like St John’s Wort and Valerian root.
- Hand Sanitizer Many hand sanitizers contain alcohol, which is why they should be replaced by alcohol-free items.
- Aftershave/Cologne/Perfume – Many of these products use ethanol for their base, so they should be removed from the home.
- Deodorizers and air fresheners The Deodorizers and Air Fresheners Many of these products contain nitrites (poppers) that can result in misuse.
While many everyday items might be considered to not be as harmful as drinking substances or alcohol, however, it is important to keep in mind that these products can be more easily accessible. Additionally, misuse of household items is very dangerous and could lead to accidental overdose, or death. If you need help with your alcohol addiction, find the Best Private Alcohol Treatment Center in Seattle. Alcohol rehab places in Seattle connect you with top-rated private alcohol rehab facilities across Seattle that have rehabilitation & treatment options for alcohol addiction.
What Happens If Someone at the home needs medication?
If a member of the family requires prescriptions or prescriptions for a medication that should be avoided it is best to lock them up in a lockbox or another secure place to keep them from any possible temptation. Also, they should avoid taking any medications that are around them.
Besides eliminating all temptations in the family home, you and your family members should be ready to alter certain ways in which alcohol or drugs were used in the past. Instead, you and your family should explore new hobbies and activities that are conducive to a healthy lifestyle.
Leave a Reply